Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wedding Planner? I've Got The Resume

I love weddings. I think all girls grow up loving weddings, but I REALLY love weddings. From the time I was a wee little one, weddings have been a part of my life. Being the only young girl in my family at the time, my fetish with weddings started when I was a flower girl in both my Uncle Bubba's (yes you read that right, no it's not his real name, and yes he is Caucasian) and my Uncle Darcy's weddings. Getting to wear a pretty dress, something unheard of in a family of commercial fishermen and hunters, was so exciting for me - I felt like a princess.


Over the years I evolved from a flower girl to a candle lighter, then onto a bridesmaid, a maid of honor, and eventually just 10 short months ago, finally a bride. Altogether I have been in 14 weddings and my 15th is coming up soon (in South Africa!!! I can't wait!). Also, I will have to note that although I didn't count along the way, I can think, off the top of my head, of atleast 10 instances in which I actually caught the bouquet at the wedding. I used to get really into it, pushing girls over and laying out to catch those things! These two pictures are from my friend Sia's wedding over Christmas - I couldn't catch the bouquet there, I was married, but it was still an absolute blast!

The reason for the wedding talk now is that yesterday, my brother - the youngest of the three - proposed to his girlfriend. And, drum role please, she said YES! Yeah! I am so excited for the two of them, they make a great couple and she can actually put up with him (sorry Dan but we all know it takes someone special). Congratulations Daniel & Nicole! Most of all, I am really excited to have another sister-in-law! That will make four! The sisters will finally outweigh the brothers...loving the ratio!

Anyway, I seem to be at that age where weddings are all around me. I think I have averaged attending at least 5 weddings a year over the past 8 years (with 4 lined up for 2009 already). Deep down inside we all have that little thought about "what we are going to be when we grow up" and a part of me really wants to be a wedding planner. Although I know it would be tough work (dealing with emotional bridezillas), long hours (and weekends), and probably not a whole heck of a lot of money (have you ever thought about the hours those people put in?) - I feel like it would be something I would thrive on. All the details, the creativity, the butterflies, the tears, and helping make someones dreams come true. I know I would love it. Maybe someday my dreams of becoming a wedding planner will become a reality during my Life As A Wife.

3 comments:

lyndsey said...

yay for weddings. uncle bubba? seriously?

LINDSAY said...

Hi JoLee, Its Lindsay Farr, Krista Cousin! I was catching up on her blog and came across yours...very cute by the way!
Anyway, If you ever make it down to Orange County or want to visit, make sure you let me know, Id love to meet up.

Hope all is well?
Chat with you soon.
Lindsay :)

LINDSAY said...

Hi,
So good to hear from you!!
I am brand new at this blogging thing as well...I find it a little odd writing about myself. :)

I would love to meet up with you...definitely let me know if you ever want to get together.

My email is lkfarr4@yahoo.com and my cell is 949-212-4686

Have a great weekend, Chat with soon!!

-Linz