Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Los Angeles - How To Get Involved?

I have now lived in Southern California for nearly two years (I am rounding up, June will be two years). It has taken some time to adjust. I went through three jobs before I found the perfect one and I have moved three times. I would like to think that I am becoming a member of the community, but when I really stop and think about my level of involvement in the area, it makes me sad, it's pitiful.


In Oregon, I had friends, I had family. I had two colleges and a high school all within driving distance that I was an alumni of and a somewhat active supporter. There were activities in the area that I knew about. I played on a parks and recreation volleyball and a softball team. I even did all of the touristy things in the area and had my own local hangout spots. Here, I just haven't found a way to get involved. I think the enormity of this place overwhelms me. First, I work 40 miles from where I live. Anyone I meet through work typically lives that far, if not further, away from me. Second, I live in very nice smaller town where I think my husband and I are the only DINKs (dual income, no kids) around - it's full of middle aged families or old retirees. Nothing against those people, just not who I think I will be able to spend time with on the weekends. I have looked at the schedule of parks and recreation activities and even found some things that I am interested in, but with my 2 hour commute home at night I never make it home in time to attend. And, as far as putting together a sports team, no luck there. I even contacted parks and recreation to ask if any team was short a player and needed someone and he told me I would have to contact the teams directly. How the heck am I supposed to do that if I don't know anyone?

One aspect of my new year's resolution (I have many) was to try and enjoy all that Southern California has to offer and get more involved in the community. As part of that effort, last weekend Jeff and I tried to "explore" Los Angeles. It was 80 degrees out in the middle of January so we had to get outside! We tried Tito's Tacos for lunch (mighty tasty, thanks Lyndsey), we visited the all-new LA Live rebirth of downtown area and went shopping at the infamous Grove. Next on the list is to go surfing and get involved in the 20-something group through our church. I know it is going to take some time to really get involved and create what I had up North, but I accept that challenge - and I don't have to do it alone! Just another adventure in my Life As A Wife.

1 comment:

lyndsey said...

yaaaaay titos. good job on exploring! let me know if you need more ideas ;)