Friday, January 23, 2009

There She Is...Miss America

Ok, so most people don't really know this about me but I have an absolute fetish with Miss America (which is on tomorrow night and sparked this blog subject) - almost as big as my fetish with weddings! I grew up hunting, fishing, playing with the boys. And, in a valiant effort to ensure I did not get confused about my gender, my mom put me in ballet. All the little girls in my town were doing it. Maddox Dancers (Maddox - the name of the studio) are some of the most well-rounded, talented and successful women to have come out of Clatsop County - Sia you know what I am talking about! After 10 years of ballet, tap and jazz, I gave it all up to play sports. Junior high sports were just too demanding (practice every day) to keep up with my love affair of dance.

So, being an athlete is the way most people know me. All through junior high and high school I played volleyball, basketball and softball and then managed to play both volleyball and softball in college. My high school and college friends knew me as the girl that played sports, worked on the fishing boat during the summer and went hunting with her dad and brothers. I even had a friend tell me once that I looked strange in "normal" clothes, she just pictured me in workout gear. Throughout those 10 years of my life in sports there was still that inkling for "girlie" stuff, for being the dancer that I once was. One of the ways I fed that part of me was by watching the Miss America pageant every year. I even remember making my entire college volleyball team sit together in a hotel room in Spokane to watch it! They probably thought I had lost my marbles.

After graduation from college in 2003, I decided it was time to take a chance. I drempt of being Miss America and I knew if I didn't give it a try, I would be mad at myself forever. I signed up for my local pageant...with those who had known me for the past 10 years thinking I had flipped my lid...and I won! I was Miss Clatsop County 2004, and of course, my talent was dance! I competed in Miss Oregon and unfortunately did not do as well as I wanted. I had one more year that I could have competed (yes, just like American Idol, there is an age limit...guess they don't want old hags representing our county), but throughout the experience I decided it just wasn't for me. It was an absolutely amazing experience, one that I will cherish forever, but for now...just watching it on tv is good enough for me. Plus, there is one man who will always think I am his Miss America. Oh the joys of my Life As A Wife.

1 comment:

lyndsey said...

totally loving the never-before-seen pictures!!! woo hoo. it still cracks me up that you were a beauty queen TOO...you do everything. so amazing.