Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Diversity in Thousand Oaks

I love the little town I live in. As my mom so eloquently put it the first time she was here, "wow JoLee this place is really nice, I haven't even seen any gangs here!" Bless her heart. Thousand Oaks, California is a nice, quant little town that developed due to Amgen - the company that happens to be my husbands client. I am pretty sure that 80% of the people that live here are here for some reason or another due to Amgen. It also happens to be the 7th safest city in the nation! TO (as we like to refer to it), is nestled in a valley with the beautiful Malibu just to the South, Calabasas and Los Angeles to the East and Santa Barbara wine country to the west. I live in the middle of all these celebrities and barely ever see any!!! What I do see in Thousand Oaks is quite diverse.

The other day, Jeff and I left our house and were driving along the street heading underneath the 101 overpass when I noticed a "dog" running along side of us. Only, it wasn't a dog, it was a coyote! We live right up against the hills and the trail head, about 100 ft. from our front door, has a sign with pictures of rattlesnakes, bobcats and coyotes - all the things one should watch out for while hiking those trails. When we first moved here I was kind of like, ya right, like we are going to see any of those things around here. Not only did Jeff and I see that coyote running nearly on the freeway, but I spotted another one this week just outside of my garage. Thanks to my camera phone and my quick thinking at 5:00 am (on my way to the gym) I was able to capture this horribly blurry shot of the coyote staring me down! Good thing I was in my car. I did however envision how I would defend myself had I not been in my car and if the coyote would have attacked me. I would have totally taken him down.

So, other than exciting wildlife encouters, TO also offers absolutely over-the-top old ladies. I am being so very mean here, I know I am - Lord, please forgive me, but honestly, these women do not go unnoticed and they have to know that about themselves! Most of the time they stick out like a sore thumb due to the amount of make-up or the size of their hair (Texas style big hair). Sometimes, we even have to question whether it is really a lady at all. This one stuck out not only due to those things but also due to the color of her hair. This is not natural people. After many nudges and a "6:00, 6:00" out of my husband, I finally spotted this woman at the grocery store - again trusty camera phone in hand I was able to snap this shot (the picture just doesn't do her justice). As we drove away I begged Jeff to never let me turn into one of those old ladies. He promised. It's so nice to have such diversity in my town and more importantly, to have someone looking out for me and ensuring I never turn into an over-the-top, done-up old lady during my Life As A Wife.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HA HA! This is hysterical. You should come to Grand Junction. You wouldn't believe what I see... Mostly associated with very poor parenting. Apple juice in 2 month olds bottles, preemies and I mean 4 lb. babies in target a week after they have been born... You get the drift. You should come... You could write pages!

Unknown said...

Justin is really Shelly. He has an account, I don't!